Sunday, May 4, 2008

Amazing Grace


(Michael Apted, 2006)

Decent. I liked it, but it could be a little slow and dry at points. Some of the scenes were a bit over the top, but overall it was a well done film. I guess more than anything else, I was really happy to see a "Christian movie" with some effort put into it. The production values were excellent and the Gospel wasn't forced on the audience. It was integral to the story and not exaggerated in any way. The movie, never preachy, was encouraging to me in a lot of the comments on God and faith. For example:

Bill: I know that lying down on the wet grass is not a normal thing to do...
Dick: None of my business, sir.
Bill: ...Truth is... uh... I've been even more strange than usual lately, haven't I?
Dick: ...Uh...
Bill: It's God. I have 10,000 engagements of state today, but I would prefer to spend the day out here getting a wet arse, studying dandelions and marveling at bloody spiders' webs!
Dick: You found God, sir?
Bill: I think He found me... Do you have any idea how inconvenient that is? How idiotic it will sound? I have a political career glittering ahead of me and in my heart I want spiders' webs...
[~~LATER~~]
Tommy: Mr. Wilberforce, we understand you're having problems choosing whether to do the work of God or the work of a political activist.
Hannah-Banana: We humbly suggest that you can do both.

All of that kinda tugged at me just because I'm trying to figure out what I should be doing with my life... Everyone else tells me to strive to be successful, whereas I want to do what God would have me do and I want to find some happiness. But I think Wilberforce, as portrayed in this movie, anyway, is a good example of how God will use the talents and the passions we have (I daresay He's given to us) for His good purposes. How much more so when we submit to His will! Also, I really liked this:

Johnny: Although my memory's fading, I remember two things very clearly: I'm a great sinner and Christ is a great Savior!
3/5 stars

Above: Me, opposing slavery.

No comments: