Thursday, April 24, 2008

More Math, More Disappointment

The results are IN!!

Your first year at Emmaus, you are given two tests at the beginning of the year. One is a test of your Bible "knowledge." Was Ahab a wicked king or a good king? What region was the Euphrates river located in? Stuff like that. The other is really more of a survey... Its questions assess your prayer life, your fellowship, your ministry, etcetera. Then they give you the same two tests at the end of the year, so you can compare how much you've grown.

In Bible trivia, I got a higher score by 24%. That's pretty good, I think.

But, on the spiritual growth survey, my categories dropped, on average, by 11.5%. The most dramatic drop was 25%. Yeesh! Now, others who saw their scores drop said they think they overrated themselves on the first test, but... I don't know... I tried to be very fair and unbiased taking the assessment both times. And even if that was the case, what does that mean? That Emmaus has made us all a little humbler? Or did it just make us all feel a little guiltier?

I'm sorry; I don't mean to whine so much, but I do feel overexorted. And I'm disappointed that I myself have let my spiritual life sink like that, and I hope it won't slip much further. Mind you, I was coming off the Elim mountain-top experience when I took the first test. But at this point in the year, I'm just... tired.

It just seems to me that the Bible trivia test was just kinda silly... I mean, I guess it would be impressive to meet someone who knows all those minute details, but I don't think an unbeliever is ever going to corner me and demand to know who Crispus was (a believer mentioned twice in the New Testament, not to be confused with Crispus Attucks). I would have much rather gotten a healthy increase in my spiritual maturity and I think when you're well established in your Bible devotions, the "trivia" will follow.

Again, I'm sorry for complaining (I guess not that sorry since I ended up posting this).

I'm reaping what I have sown. Remind me to sow a bit more next time.

...maybe it's just because I didn't get to see the sun once today...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't worry about that Christian maturity test. What matters more than anything is your relationship with your heavenly Daddy Father. He loves you so much and he wants you to know that. It isn't about how great we are...it is about knowing you are the beloved. God can work best through those who are humble and weak.

Uncle Jim said...

You are indeed wise, O Anonymous One. I guess I was just hoping I would have grown even closer to my Father this year. Thus far, this doesn't seem to be the case, but perhaps further meditation is required. Thank you for your comment.

Morning Coffee said...

Christian maturity shouldn't be a test, any more than love should be tested and given a grade. Love is love, and to reduce it to true/false...how much is enough just seems a little punitive to me. Self assessment is part of life, and we are to "think soberly" but I wouldn't be too discouraged. My observation is you've grown and matured and that is not to be underappreciated. By the way, I need a snack. Got any more of those Crispus with dip?